Group B Final Game


A result that sends both teams through to the Round of 16 from Group B in FIFA World Cup.
Wayne ROONEY (ENG)
I feel fine from the injury. There were no problems and I was able to keep with the pace of the game. We had a good first half but didn't play so well after half-time. I’m not disappointed I didn't score and I wasn't angry when I was taken off – it's just that I wanted to play. A draw was enough to win the group so we have to be happy. Losing Michael is a blow, of course, as he is an important player who scores goals. I think we can beat Ecuador.



England and Sweden drew 2-2 in Cologne on Tuesday, 20 June 2006 - a result that sends both teams through to the Round of 16 from Group B.
England's prize for topping the section is to play Ecuador in Stuttgart on 25 June, while Sweden must take on hosts Germany in Munich 24 hours earlier. Sven-Goran Eriksson's team had already secured qualification before this match and they were only denied a third successive win by a 90th-minute Henrik Larsson goal.
England had gone in front on 34 minutes through a spectacular strike from Joe Cole. Marcus Allback headed the Swedes level at 1-1 six minutes into the second half but substitute Steven Gerrard restored England's advantage when he headed in their second on 81 minutes.


England have still not beaten Sweden since 1968 but, as group winners, they will be happier to be facing Ecuador and not Germany in the Round of 16. Sweden's performance in the second half here, however, should give them confidence ahead of their meeting with the hosts.


Henrik LARSSON (SWE)

I'm happy about the result and the comeback. It's a good sign and will increase our morale. The last minutes of a game are very important for self-confidence. We scored from aerial positions which is normally England's strong point. I scored a goal today because I was wearing my golden boots. I don't want to think too much about the Germany game just yet. It's important to just enjoy our result. We have a good team and a good captain so I don't fear any opponent – not even the hosts.


Freddie LJUNGBERG (SWE)

At half-time, Lars Lagerback said we should control the ball more so that's what we tried to do and it worked pretty well. Today, we scored with just a few chances while in the other games we had plenty and only scored once, so we're improving our strike-rate. With a bit more luck, we could easily have won the game. I think Germany will be a tough opponent - (Jens) Lehmann is an exceptionally good keeper. The Germans are a tall, strong side but to be honest I haven't checked out many of their games so far. It will be a special match and a bit sad that we have to play them so early in the tournament.

Joe COLE (ENG), Budweiser Man of the Match

Michael Owen's injury is a big blow for us as a team. He's had a difficult 12 months and now it looks like he has another battle on his hands. But I've no doubt he’ll be back scoring goals for England sooner rather than later.
We played very well in the first half and we should have killed the game. Sweden played better after half-time but still didn't create any chances from open play. For my goal, the ball just sat up nicely – it was early on in the game and I thought I'd test the keeper. It was a great start for us.
Ecuador will be a tough game, they've produced two terrific performances in the group stage. Either Germany or Ecuador would have been a tough game. Now the real business starts and we can't afford any more mistakes from set-pieces. John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Jamie Carragher are all brilliant in those situations – I'm sure it will be the last goal we concede from a set-piece.



Send to friend:  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home